Silver Spring Assembly had a humble beginning in February of 1951, as First Assembly of God of Silver Spring. It was at that time that several families felt the burden for the area and began conducting services in the basement of their homes. After several weeks, the auditorium of Montgomery Blair High School was secured and services continue there until a lot was purchased and a building erected at what is now 400 University Boulevard West.
During the period of 1954 to 1957, the building on University Boulevard was enlarged to make room for expansion and a parsonage was purchased shortly thereafter. The congregation continued to gain strength during the early 1960’s such that it was evident that the old building on University Boulevard was inadequate. The building and parsonage were sold, the present site was purchased, and plans for a new church were formulated.
While the new church was under construction, services were held in the Glenmont Elementary School. In 1965, the new church was ready for occupancy, and the first service was held on March 28, 1965. The dedication service was held on May 22, 1966. Since that time, the church has prospered permitting completion of the parking lot, installation of air conditioning, and completion of many other building and property improvements. In 1970, the lower level was completed enlarging the Sunday School Department and providing for the Fellowship Halls.
The founding pastor was Reverend Paul Ridings. Additionally, Reverend Wigfield and Reckley worked part-time. The history of the pastors includes Rev. Carl Brumback (6 years), Rev. Joseph Pittman (3 years), Rev. Sam Rust (5 years), Rev. Arnold Brown, and Rev. Howard Spruill (5 years). Rev. Spruill later became the District Superintendent of the Potomac District. Three more pastors include Rev. Earl Moore (18 years), Pastor Greg Wheaton (2 years), and Pastor Douglas Seaman (2 years). In addition, we have had 3 interim pastors. They include Pastor Earl Baldwin, Pastor Gary Felton, and Pastor Scott Bailey.
The current pastor, Robert D. Tucker was called to serve the congregation on July 14, 2013. We are grateful for his ministry, and look forward to completing the vision that God has given him for the new Silver Spring Assembly of God. We are grateful that God has chosen to bless our effort to extend His Kingdom in the Silver Spring area. In six decades, a handful of dedicated worshipers have grown to become one of the leading churches in the Potomac District. We Praise the Lord.